Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Restaurant Review: Estiatorio Milos

Fun Fact: Larry David watched me take these pictures. Should I be embarrassed? Probably. Was I? Absolutely not since I'm clueless when it comes to celebs and wouldn't have known he was sitting 10 feet away from me if someone didn't point it out (this was my dad in this case).

While I'm at school I get super sick of going out to eat because having to go to the dining hall is enough. Regardless, I still go out and when it's something I need to write home about, I share it with all of you. Especially because writing home about it wouldn't do much good since my parents were with me.

I was given 4 restaurant choices and choice Estiatorio Milos. I'm still patting myself on the back for that one. It was phenomenal. I really think that Mediterranean/Greek is my all time fav cuisine, but it's hard to say since it really depends on my mood. Generally, I'll never turn down going Mediterranean, but I will turn down Thai or Indian depending on the day.

Any who... the place is huge and there are private rooms up a floor that look amazing. I wish I had known because that would have been my ideal 21st birthday celebration location. The fish is all fresh from Greece, Portugal, other parts of Europe, or the US and it's all laid out on a bed of ice. You go up with your waiter and choose which one you want. I chose the black sea bass because it was good for 2 and my dad & I were the only ones eating it. More on that later!

 We started with a few apps. The romaine salad (or green salad as commonly referred to) is so simple, but has so much flavor. It's simply romaine, dill, green onions, oil and vinegar, and feta (which is on the side since I can't have it :( ). My parents were raving about the feta, as if seeing it sitting there wasn't torture enough.

 I've recently taken a serious liking to mushrooms. We saw the grilled mushroom appetizer and had to try it out. It featured fresh shitake, royal trumpet, and abalone mushrooms with rosemary and they were perfect. I think they use sea salt, which is very strong, so every once and a while I'd get a really salty bite, but besides that I probably could've eaten the whole plate myself.

The crab cake was recommend to us by our waiter because it's "the best crab cake in NYC." It came with a white bean dip, which was super good. I'm not a crab fan, but my mom is and she said it's definitely the best crab cake in NYC and possibly the best she's ever had. 

My mom ordered lamb because she's not a huge fish person and she loves lamb, so why not? Greeks cook their meat through, which is right up her alley! It's a big plate for one and comes with fries and seemed cauliflower and broccoli.

My dad and I split the black sea bass. There was another option (I can't remember what) that was a moister fish, so I chose the flakier one. They grill it with a little oil and lemon, bring it to your table like pictured below, and divide it into two halves for each person eating it. I usually can't eat more than a few bites of fish (I have a weird texture thing), but I ate more than half of my half! It was great.

Beets are one of my favorite things now that I figured out they come fresh and not just canned. Give me a canned beet and I can't get it down, but fresh roasted beets are amazing. Apparently I'm one of the few that knows there are multiple types of beets, so to save all of you looking at the picture below wondering what those yellow things are.. they're golden beets. Life changing! There was also sautéed spinach on top and how could you ever go wrong with spinach?

I (of course) requested the grilled vegetable plate. Again, I could have eaten the whole thing. The veggies were zucchini, onions, fennel, peppers, and eggplant and on the side (again.. because I can't have dairy) was "the real greek mint yogurt" and grilled Haloumi cheese. Sitting there torturing me. The vegetables were simply grilled, but tasted phenomenal. 

This definitely isn't a cheap restaurant by any means, but it's 100% worth every cent. The staff was extremely nice and helpful. It's hard to go out to eat with any type of allergy, but when I told them that I'm lactose intolerant they were more concerned about not having dairy touch anything than I am. It was amazing. The ambiance is upscale, chic, yet comfortable. The ceilings are high and there's a lot of white, but the lighting is dim to make it more intimate feeling. I highly recommend coming to Milos at some point. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

© 2011 Breakfast at Tricia's, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena