Monday, January 26, 2015

Promising Best Pictures

Oscar nominated movies rarely pique my interest. Silent black & white movies shouldn't be winning awards in the 21st century in my opinion. The King's Speech was awesome and I'm glad I watched that after it won best picture in 2010.


I recently watched The Grand Budapest Hotel, which I tried to watch on my long flight back from Germany (9 hours is way too long in my book) but just couldn't get into. I watched:
This Is Where I Leave You - I don't love everything Tina Fey, but she was really good in this movie. It's an entertaining watch and keeps you interested the whole time. I do love Jason Bateman and Jane Fonda, so this wasn't a hard choice to make while flipping through all 800 movies they offered.
The Devil Wears Prada - this might have been the 500th time I watched this movie. No exaggeration there. It's one of my favorites so I had to put it on.
The Hundred-Foot Journey - I hadn't really heard much about this, but I loved it. It was inspiring and made me want to get on a plane to Paris to become a 5-star chef.

That was a little fun facts section of what I think of random movies, but the real point of this post is to tell you I've watched two (I rarely watch one) of the movies nominated for best picture this year! And they both were super good! In different ways though.

The Grand Budapest Hotel was on demand when I got back to NYC and since it was all of 15 degrees out I figured why not watch it? At only an hour and forty minutes I couldn't say no (when movies approach two hours I have to really consider because I truly can't focus for more than 5 minutes.. that may be a little bit of an exaggeration but you get it). I was surprised at how funny it was! It takes a lot to make me laugh, but dry, witty humor often does the trick. I definitely recommend checking this one out if you haven't already. Should it be up for best picture? Not in my opinion.

This movie basically changed my life - The Imitation Game. I think I told everyone I know that they must see this movie. I'm not into wartime movies, but this one was different. I went into the theater knowing a whole bunch of nothing about the movie. I had a choice between this and Wild and I just wasn't in the mood for a super serious movie.

I had no clue that this was based on a true story and that the true story was about how the Allies won WWII, how the first computer came to be, and how the British knew for years that their ships and cities were going to get bombed, yet they couldn't do anything about it because then the Germans would catch on that they knew the code and they would it. It was such an amazing movie I can't say enough about it. Benedict Cumberbatch was fabulous and so was Keira Knightley. The main character reminded me a lot of Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory because he was so smart, but just didn't get jokes.

If you can only watch one more movie for the rest of the year, this is the one to watch. You won't be disappointed! It's serious, historic, funny, and extremely enthralling.

xo

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

© 2011 Breakfast at Tricia's, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena