Friday, January 30, 2015

Kale & Brussel Sprouts Salad Recipe

Last weekend I had dinner at my cousin Lisa's apartment in NYC. First off, it set my expectations quite high for my eventual apartment in Manhattan. It was so home-y and spacious, but not so huge that you feel lost.

As a starter we had a kale salad that was so simple, light, and delicious. I had the leftovers a few days later and it kept really well and didn't get soggy. One of the many perks of kale! This is a jaw dropping fact that I'm going to throw out there.. I. Ate. Olives. And didn't hate them! Usually if an olive comes in contact with anything I can't even choke it down. I guess it's true when they (whoever they may be) say that there are so many types of olives out there. I basically wrote them off as a whole, but now I'm a tiny bit more open minded about them. I'll still avoid them at all costs though. Another side note, my salad (pictured below) doesn't have cheese because of my lactose intolerance, but it probably makes it even better.

I stocked up on leftovers to bring back to school in anticipation of Juno. Well.. that didn't happen and instead of being trapped until Thursday I was out on Tuesday when the sun came out. 33 inches of snow turned into 6. Oh well! I'd rather them be wrong than for me to be trapped. Plus I had yummy leftovers (I also took roasted broccolini and sweet potatoes with smoked paprika.. so good!).

This recipe is simple, can be made ahead of time, and serves a lot. It's actually filling enough to be a meal in itself. It's direct from Heidi at 101 Cookbooks (a personal fav).

Shredded Kale & Brussel Sprouts Salad
serves 4-6 

For the shallot vinaigrette
1 shallot, finely chopped
1/4 freshly squeezed lemon juice (can use a little less depending on how much you love lemon)
1/3 cup evoo
2 tsp tahini
honey & salt to taste

For the salad
1 bunch of finely shredded lacinato kale
12 brussel sprouts finely shredded
3 scallions, sliced thin

Toppings
1 cup sliced toasted pecans
20 large green Castelvetrano olives, pitted and sliced (try to buy them pitted because Lisa said pitting them yourself is a pain)
2/3 cup pecorino cheese shredded

Directions
Add shallot and lemon juice to a small bowl and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Then whisk in the rest of the ingredients.

After shredding the veggies, toss them together with the dressing making sure to mix well (your hands will probably work best because Kale tastes better "massaged"). Let rest for 10 minutes.

Add pecans, olives, and cheese. Toss gently and chill before serving or serve immediately. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

© 2011 Breakfast at Tricia's, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena