Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Restaurant Review: Friedman's Lunch

I joined the mentor program at my school with hopes of being paired with someone halfway decent that I could just talk to about marketing and different career options. Luckily I got more than that! In the fall of 2012 I was introduced to my mentor, Amanda, who graduated from Manhattan College (the school I go to) in 2010, so we're close in age and have a ton to talk about. Over a year later we still meet up for coffee and lunch to catch up.

We met up for lunch today in midtown and I chose a new place that I've been dying to try, but haven't gotten around to going to. Friedman's Lunch has a location in Chelsea Market (the one I've been trying to get to), but I just discovered that they also have a place in midtown! It's right on 31st St between 7th Ave and 8th Ave, making it really easy to get to by train. According to our server they've been there for about 5 months now.



It's a tiny place, but people are in and out constantly so it doesn't seem like you'd ever really have to wait more than 15 minutes or so. I got the veggie bowl, which has japanese eggplant, carrots, edamame, bok choy, bean sprouts, a sesame lime dressing, your choice of either brown rice or quinoa (I went with quinoa), and then you can add on tofu, chicken, or salmon, so I chose to add salmon. It was so good. The portion sizes are big, but of course I finished my whole bowl. The salmon was cooked perfectly and they put the perfect amount of dressing so you can taste it but not see it. Meals are the worst when they're drowned in sauces/dressings in my opinion.


I ordered a coffee, too, since it's so cold in NYC. Really though, who needs an excuse to order coffee? I was surprised at the size of the mug because it was quite big and the coffee was very good.


Our server was very nice, wasn't too on top of us, and didn't keep coming back too much. Sometimes overly-friendly service just makes it seem like they want you out of there asap. The one server overheard Amanda and I talking about the Chelsea Market location so he threw in a complimentary side of the shaved brussel sprouts out of appreciation for our loyalty. I definitely recommend trying them! They're cooked in an aged sherry and honey mixture and then there's shaved pecorino on top. Super yum. It's like he knew me because I love brussel sprouts, so he picked the perfect side to throw in!


While I was reading the menu I knew that the veggie bowl sounded familiar. Then I realized that Friedman's recipe in the Chelsea Market Cookbook is for the veggie bowl and I just made it a few weeks ago. I really suggest this cookbook if you're ever searching for one. It never fails to satisfy every need. 

Everything that the other customers had looked so good. I can't wait to go back and try out more dishes!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

© 2011 Breakfast at Tricia's, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena