Monday, October 21, 2013

Mediterranean Farro Salad with Herb-Shallot Vinaigrette? Yes, please!

I found a recipe from Spoon Fork and Bacon posted here a while back for a Mediterranean farro salad with an herb-shallot vinaigrette and was immediately drawn to it. Mediterranean food is one of my all time favorite cuisines. It's just so fresh and yummy. I was finally able to make it this weekend and I made some changes, so I'll post my version here. It was so good. I had family over for dinner and people were weary to try it and then couldn't get over how much they loved it. However, because I was a bit preoccupied with serving my guests I forgot to take a picture (gasp). I'm still mad at myself. I'll just post the picture from the original post even though I didn't quite use the same ingredients (the olives were left out, I altered measurements, etc.).

Mediterranean Farro Salad with Herb-Shallot Vinaigrette and Feta

Ingredients
Farro Salad
1 1/2 cups of faro (rinsed)
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 red onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
8 oz package of sliced shiitake mushrooms
4 sun dried tomatoes sliced thinly 
feta cheese (I left it on the side and let everyone put on the amount they desired)

Herb-shallot Vinaigrette
5 Tbsp shallots, minced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 1/2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp dried Italian parsley
1 Tbsp dried oregano
1 tsp marjoram
2 tsp chives, thinly sliced
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil 

Directions
Cook farro according to package directions. 

While the farro is cooking, heat extra-virgin olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat. 

Once the oil is hot, add the onions and cook for about 4 minutes. Then add garlic and mushrooms and sauté for 5 more minutes, or until mushroom appear cooked and slightly brown. Set aside in a bowl.

Whisk together shallots, garlic, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, parsley, oregano, marjoram, chives, and olive oil until completely combined.

Once farro is completely cooked, fluff it with a fork, add in sautéed mixture. Whisk the vinaigrette once more to make sure it is combined and then add it to the farro veggie mixture and mix until combined. 

Serve in a large bowl with feta on the side!

Notes:
This serves 10 as a side dish.
If you make this ahead of time you can leave it at room temperature and it's just as good! It can really be eaten warm, room temp, or cold and it doesn't make a difference.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

© 2011 Breakfast at Tricia's, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena