Sunday, September 22, 2013

Food for the First Day of Fall

Happy official first day of fall finally! I've been waiting for this day to come since it started getting a little cooler about three weeks ago. Now I'm ready for pumpkin and apple picking and I can talk about it freely without people commenting that "it's still technically summer even though it's 48 degrees at night." Once the temperature starts dropping I have no interest in what season it technically is; I like to drag fall out as long as possible since it's my favorite season of all time (winter comes next).

One of my favorite things to make when I'm going to someone's house in the fall for a dinner is homemade applesauce. Everyone always loves it and its super easy to make! Say goodbye to jarred applesauce once you make your own because you'll never go back. Here's my favorite recipe that I've been making for years. You can find the original recipe here.

photo c/o cookin'mama
Ingredients
8 apples - peeled, cored, and chunked in 1-inch cubes
1 1/2 cups of water
1/2 cup white sugar
1 Tbsp cinnamon*
*I dump so much cinnamon in because I'm a cinnamon fanatic but you can use as much or as little as you see fit

Directions 
Slow Cooker (how I make it)
Add all ingredients to your crockpot and cook on high for 3-4 hours. You won't need to mash the apples or anything afterwards.

Stovetop
Cook apples, water, cinnamon, and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat for about a half hour, until the apples are tender when poked with a fork.
Remove from heat and allow to cool for a little while.
Mash up the apples to your preferred consistency.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

© 2011 Breakfast at Tricia's, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena